Monday, June 13, 2016

The Next 49 Days

Yesterday, I watched in horror as the news reported the deadliest shooting in U.S. history at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida. 49 innocent people in the midst of a joyous celebration of their culture were shot to death at the hands of an insane radical with an automatic weapon.

In the midst of these reports, media focus was largely on the attacker, his history and his motivations. Through these reports he got exactly what he wanted - infamy from his volatile brand of hate.

I refuse to make this monster a celebrity. I don't want to know everything some journalist can dig up about him. I don't want to see his MySpace profile picture every time I look at a screen. He lost his right to humanity when he systematically stole it from 49 people.

I've spent the last 24 hours on the cusp of being consumed by rage. I have no words to describe the devastation I've been watching unfold.

I refuse to let this monster get what he wants.

49 individual human lives, with unique hopes and dreams and histories have simply vanished. 49 mamas have to lay their babies down one last time. Infinite grief to the power of 49.

We cannot forget these 49 beautiful souls 

For the next 49 days I will dedicate a page of this blog to the memory of one of the victims of the massacre. I will do my best to highlight their greatest virtues and I will dedicate each day to living in honor of each specific memory. It's a big task but it's the only thing I can think of to move forward. Please, join me in the commitment to spreading the love and honoring these innocents.

Let's heal this country.

-Jamie

No comments: